Frequently Asked Questions


Can I travel while on supervision?

Travel out of the Judicial District within the first sixty (60) days of your release is prohibited unless it is work-related purposes and only after informing your probation officer of the same. Requests for travel of any kind must be submitted at least two (2) weeks in advance of travel. International travel requires Court approval.

Collateral consequences of a federal conviction – what “rights” do I lose?

There are significant collateral consequences that are imposed by law upon conviction for a felony offense. The following is for informational purposes ONLY and further inquiries should be directed to your attorney or appropriate authority and/or agencies.

  • Loss of Voting Rights Occupational Restrictions
  • Loss of professional license
  • Immigration (denial of entry, deportation, etc)
  • Potential Registration and/or Notification with State Authorities for certain offenses.
  • Some convictions result in permanent disabilities and loss of civil rights which may only be reinstated through a presidential pardon.
  • Specific issues are addressed on a case by case basis and parties should be expected to represent their concerns in writing for court ruling.
Explain fines, restitutions and special assessments.

The U.S. Probation Office is committed to the rights of victims of federal crimes. This commitment includes full and timely collection of monetary penalties. There are (3) primary types of Criminal Debt. They are Special Assessment(s), Restitution, and Fine(s).

Payments received by the U.S. Clerk’s Office are applied in the following order:

  • Special Assessment
  • Restitution
  • Fines

Wilfull nonpayment may result in the court’s revocation of parole, probation or supervised release. Fines and restitution are NOT DISCHARGEABLE in bankruptcy. Only the court may make post-sentencing decisions as to either the amount of the restitution or the schedule of payments.

How do I find out which officer is assigned to an offender/defendant?

Call the main office phone number and ask to speak with the duty officer.

Must I report contact with other law enforcement agencies?

All individuals under supervision must report ALL law enforcement contacts, even those which are non-criminal in nature (i.e. motor vehicle, municipal ordinances, etc.)

What is a “duty officer”?

A duty officer is an officer who is on duty to answer any questions or address any issues you may be having if your assigned officer is not in the office or is unavailable at the time of contact.

Where can I find the Texas Transportation Code on Drivers License Suspension?

The code has been attached to this response. It is an Acrobat PDF file.

Driver’s License Fact Sheet

Who qualifies for DNA collections?

All those convicted of a felony or misdemeanor in certain categories (see your probation officer for details) must submit to a DNA sample collection. Failure to cooperate in the collection of that sample may be treated as a violation of your supervision conditions.

Whom do I contact if I have general questions about probation?

Call the main office phone number and ask to speak with the duty officer.